Re: Trunk still not open

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:43:55 +0900

Juanma Barranquero writes:

 > That's why I'm unimpressed by the idea of forcing changes to include
 > docs. Not everyone is able to write Emacs-manual-quality docs, and

Many projects have proved that to be false.  I can cite Python; Eli
has cited gdb.  It very rare that a person who can code is incapable
of writing docs to an acceptable level of quality.  It is of course
common that they have had little practice at it.  So give them some
practice, review their work, and teach them. :-)

 > specially, not everyone is so fluent in English to write good
 > English docs; some of us struggle with it.

This is certainly true, and those same projects show how to deal with
it: if the docs are obviously missing content, reject the patch and
iterate; if the docs are uninterpretable, ask questions to help the
contributor revise; if the docs are interpretable having reviewed the
code part of the patch, fix them and apply.