RE: "Adobe Brackets like" editing in emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: RE: "Adobe Brackets like" editing in emacs
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 13:18:21 +0900

arthur miller writes:

 > Thanks for the fast answer.

 > For example while editing html, if one clicks on an element, code
 > for css-style property for that element is displayed direclty below
 > under the lineof the code for that tag and one can edit that
 > particular piece of css.

Which CSS property?  The "C" in CSS stands for "cascading".  That is,
there may be a style attribute on the current element, there may be a
style element in the document, and there may be multiple rel=style
links in the document, any of which might be what you're editing.  Or
you might actually be creating a style attribute on the element.

 > They call it "quick edit".

Is it trademarked? ;-)

 > It is a bit faster way to work since one does not have to switch
 > between files.

Uh, if it's in an external stylesheet you *must* switch files.  I
assume you mean you don't have to switch *windows*?

For your style of editing to be efficient, does it really have to be
in the same window, or would it be OK if it popped up in a tooltip-
like, undecorated window very close to the point you click on?  Unlike
a tooltip, which tries to stay out of the way, it would always appear
in exactly the same place, though.  (I ask because I think I would
prefer a separate popup window, perhaps with a different background,
to transiently inserting text in the current buffer.  I think I would
want that window immediately below the modified element's open tag.)

 > I am not sure if I am really that good in explaining, english is
 > not my first (or second) language.

Your explanation is perfectly understandable, but you should avoid
giving examples which don't help much.  For example, intellisense:

 > Well it is pretty similar to what is called "intellisense", but it
 > does not pop-up in a new window and offers code editing rather than
 > code completition.

In other words, it has nothing in common with intellisense, except
that it's context-sensitive.  If you don't have the word "context-
sensitive", I can understand why you'd use intellisense as an example,
but it didn't help me at all because the context that intellisense
uses (a partial word from the same program) is rather different from
the context used here (a cross-file link).

I would use the analogy of a link in a web page, except that instead
of your focus jumping to the linked content (which is annoying and
inefficient for a transient activity), the linked content is "pulled"
to your focus point temporarily.