Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:46:25 +0100

> If this feature is already mature enough, perhaps we should recommend
> it on the wiki as the solution for this issue.

I'd recommend against using new and little tested features in the
recommended workflow.  I saw some painful results from someone
_insisting_ to use git submodule, because it fit his perceived workflow.

Firstly, just switching branches inside the the working directory is
fast and easy, so coding on separate branches can easily be done inside
one working directory.

Secondly, if what you want is to have two working directories side by
side, because you eg. wish to do a long running build or test session in
one working directory, and you don't wish to pollute the upstream
repository with your short lived local branches, you can just create an
extra remote and push and pull from that.

You can create that extra remote locally on the disk of your computer,
or you can create a repository on github and use that.