Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:33:15 +0200

> From: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:46:25 +0100
>
> Firstly, just switching branches inside the the working directory is
> fast and easy, so coding on separate branches can easily be done inside
> one working directory.

Switching is indeed fast, but building after the switch isn't.  See my
original explanation why this is different in Emacs than in some other
projects.  In a nutshell, you will many times need a full bootstrap,
sometimes with the configure step on top of that.

> Secondly, if what you want is to have two working directories side by
> side, because you eg. wish to do a long running build or test session in
> one working directory, and you don't wish to pollute the upstream
> repository with your short lived local branches, you can just create an
> extra remote and push and pull from that.
>
> You can create that extra remote locally on the disk of your computer,
> or you can create a repository on github and use that.

These are the kinds of workflows I suggested to discuss.  I don't
doubt for a moment that there are no solutions, the question is which
one(s) are best suited to Emacs development and maintenance.

IOW, we need specific suggestions of workflows and procedures, rather
than general references to possible ways of going about this.