Re: Converted git repository available for review

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Converted git repository available for review
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 18:00:39 -0700

Thanks. I compared the latest revision (d245cfa) in the converted git repository's master to the corresponding revision (116808) in the bzr trunk, and found some discrepancies (see attached). They fall into two major categories.

1. The git version is missing some changes to .gitignore files. For example, we removed the arch-tag lines a while ago, but the git version has resurrected them. I expect the conversion machinery needs to be tweaked to handle .gitignore files correctly.

2. The git version has rewritten 100 ChangeLog lines, replacing strings like "revno 108687" with strings like "2012-06-22T21:17:address@hidden" using the principles you discussed earlier. In many cases the ChangeLog lines have gotten too long. I propose converting them to the new form and fixing resulting line-length problems in the bzr trunk, now, so that the automated conversion process has nothing to do in this area. I'll volunteer to do this by hand, as it hardly seems worth automating.