Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116878: Sync with upstream vhdl mode v3.35.1

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116878: Sync with upstream vhdl mode v3.35.1
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:54:30 -0400

> In 2007 I changed my own copy of vhdl-mode to use defalias.  In 2012
> I  synced some differences from the GNU distribution to my own copy, so  it
> went back to defun/fset (because that's what it was in the  repository).
> I didn't think much about it, so I don't think there was  any other reason
> than just to be in sync with the GNU version.

So going back to defun+fset was an accident.  Thanks.

> There's other things that are probably still different in my own copy
> compared to the GNU version, that I did not sync because of  compatibility
> reasons.  I meanwhile dropped compatibility with XEmacs,  but I still want
> to prevent any changes that are not compatible with  older Emacs versions in
> the copy that I distribute on my site.

We generally prefer it if the code in Emacs is identical to the one you
distribute, even if it means keeping compatibility code around.

We do like to make use of newer features, but in 99% of the case that
can be done without breaking compatibility.  I tend to break that
compatibility when I install my own changes, but that's usually by
accident or at worst out of laziness (e.g. sometimes I know it breaks
compatibility but I suspect that this compatibility is not important any
more, so I deliberately break it and wait to see if someone yells).

IOW, feel free to send us patches that just fix backward compatibility
issues, and if you don't know how to combine the "new" and the "old"
code, we can probably help.

        Stefan