Mangled and unclear attributions in the Emacs history

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Mangled and unclear attributions in the Emacs history
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 10:39:25 -0400 (EDT)

Not much remains to be done to be ready for repository conversion day.
The only major unfinished task is the graft of the Aquamacs history.
Nobody else has come forward with a satellite branch that needs merging.

In order to make the Ohloh statistics more accurate I am trying to fix
problems with commit attributions. In most cases this consists only
of transcoding Latin-1-encoded names to UTF-8.  In a few cases people
have committed under multiple alternate forms of their names; in these
cases I have canonicalized to what appears to their full legal name
with normal capitalization.

A handful of names could stand to be replaced with better
identification if anyone knows how.  It is of course
possible that some of these are intended to be opaque.

jhd = jhd <address@hidden>
LynX = LynX <address@hidden>
MON KEY = MON KEY <address@hidden>
Nix = Nix <address@hidden>
U. Ser = U. Ser <address@hidden>
Yair F = Yair F <address@hidden>
cg = cg <address@hidden>
oblique = oblique <address@hidden>

This one raises a philosophical issue:

Michael I. Bushnell = Michael I. Bushnell <address@hidden>

Should it be changed to Thomas Bushnell, BSG <address@hidden>?

More generally, what do we consider most useful in the event of
a personal name change: name at time of contribution or most
recent name? I have no particular opinion about this.

When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.
                -- Steve Hoflich on compl.lang.c++