Is there a sane way to type Hebrew with nikud with Emacs 25/Mac?

From: Mark H. David
Subject: Is there a sane way to type Hebrew with nikud with Emacs 25/Mac?
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 12:32:22 -0800

Emacs 25 just started correctly allowing input and display of Hebrew with
nikud.  Thank you Emacs 25 developers, and congratulations!

I'm trying to type Yiddish with Emacs 25 on the Mac, which for purposes of this
discussion essentially means entering Hebrew characters from one of the
built-in Hebrew keyboards on the Mac.  I do not want to use any kind of custom
keyboard, since I use a lot of different Macs and use the Hebrew keyboard with
a lot of different applications, not just Emacs, so I do not want to have to
customize beyond the built-in keyboard.

This relies heavily on using the Mac keyboard's option key, since that's used
for typing Hebrew character combinations, which involves inserting Unicode
characters from the Hebrew range as a sequence of two characters: a base Hebrew
character plus a diacritic character, known as nikud, the combination of which
I'm calling here collectively "Hebrew with nikud".

Here's a reference showing Hebrew keyboard for Mac OS (and other OS's):

http://www.ivritype.com/hebrew/kbd/

Here are the option key assignments on the Mac Hebrew keyboard used for Yiddish:

pasekh: Option+6
komets: Option+7
dogesh: Option+,
khirek: Option+4
sin: Option+A
paseky-tsvey-yudn: Option+H

For example, typing this email in my browser with the Hebrew keyboard
installed, to type the character combination

שׂ

which is called "Sin", and looks like a normal "Shin" character with a
"Sin-dot" diacritic in the upper left corner, I switch to the Hebrew keyboard,
then type

Option+A

which inserts the base character for the letter shin followed by the diacritic
sin-dot.

Doing this in emacs is really awkward, at least how I'm doing it.  Maybe
someone has a better way?

First of all, it's necessary to at some time have changed the variable

mac-option-modifier

to none.  That let's you use the Option modifier key. But what that does is
makes you not have a META key.  How can you use Emacs without a meta key?  I
cannot really see having to use ESC instead of Meta in this day and age.

Second, after you switch the keyboard to Hebrew, and start typing a few
characters, all the standard combinations used with the "English" keyboard go
away. Like CTRL+A becomes "CTRL+ש" (control + shin).  I noticed this does not
take effect immediately after switching keyboards, only after I've typed some
Hebrew text using that keyboard.  Anyhow, how can you use Emacs with every
normal binding of control and meta keystroke combinations unavailable to you?

I figured if anyone is using Emacs on Mac for Hebrew with Nikud (i.e., Hebrew
with vowels, as used for extra pronunciation guidance, children's books, and
liturgy), they would have to have worked out a better approach.

Can anyone provide specific solutions or approaches, i.e., for the Mac?

Thanks,

Mark