Re: Checking in files with trailing white space

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Checking in files with trailing white space
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 10:39:12 -0800

On 12/13/2016 10:28 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Alternatively, could the pre-commit git hook be adapted to warn the
committer about trailing space and ask him for confirmation?  I couldn't
see an easy way over the weekend, but it might be possible, somehow.

I don't see an easy way either. Part of the problem is that some developers commit with vc and some do not. If you use vc, perhaps you could cook up something that works with vc; as I don't use vc to commit, I'm not the best person to give advice in that area. Plus, I'd rather not have to deal with source files containing trailing white space (it is *such* a pain in so many ways), so my motivation to help in this area is somewhat limited....