Re: Checking in files with trailing white space

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Checking in files with trailing white space
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 17:32:24 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:47:02 -0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > providing compressed text files in the distribution
> > doesn't violate the GPL or its spirit.
>
> Sure, but we are talking about binary data files that are in the repository,
> which is not the same thing. Most of these files are not in .gz form; they
> are
> typically object files (in the GPL sense) of some other sort.

Which files are those?  A gzip-compressed file was the only example
you brought up, but now you are saying it isn't representative, so I'm
unsure which files exactly are the case in point.

> Even if we restrict our attention to the repository's compressed text files,
> there seems little point to compressing a file before putting it into the
> repository.

Depends on the compression method, I guess.  For some of them, we
cannot rely on the respective tools being available, so if that
particular kind of compression is needed for some test, having the
source file might not be good enough.  (This is all theoretical at
this point, of course.)