Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 19:25:58 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 02:32:26PM +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> Why should some facilities ignore narrowing, then? E.g. font-lock and
> indentation, which have traditionally done so.

They don't.  No text outside of the visible region is indented or
fontified.  But, if necessary, text outside the visible region is
inspected to get the needed context for the operation within it.

> > At the base, narrowing is nothing more than binding the
> > meanings/behavior of `point-min' and `point-max'.

> Yes. That's literally its definition.

> > No one has given an example of how narrowing makes things
> > hard "for many other facilities" - or even for one facility.

> You haven't been paying attention.

I keep hearing about how complicaated narrowing supposedly is, but I
can't help feeling that's due to misunderstandings about what narrowing
actually is, or somebody attributing blame to narrowing when it really
belongs elsewhere.  I think it's quite a long time ago since anybody
gave any examples of narrowing supposedly making things difficult.  A
reminder of what these things are would be most welcome now.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).