Re: scrolling in shell buffer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: scrolling in shell buffer
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 13:15:13 -0500

  > > I think that we should make the default behavior for shell buffers,
  > > when point is at the end, to scroll to keep point at the bottom of the
  > > window.
  > >
  > > Does anyone disagree that this behavior would be right?

  > By default?  I don't think I agree.  It's just another Emacs buffer.

It is meant to resemble a terminal.  I think it should treat this case
like the other terminals we use.  The Linux console scrolls the cursor
to the bottom line, and so does the GNOME terminal.

You can scroll back through the text, but there no use for scrolling forward
and pusting the text out of the screen.

  > Also, various terminal emulators on GUI systems let me scroll the
  > console window past its end, and don't scroll it back each time the
  > shell or some command run from the shell outputs something.

Can you tell me the names of some that do this, and how I can see an
example for myself?

--
Dr Richard Stallman