Re: GNUS Kerberos support, native GSSAPI?

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: GNUS Kerberos support, native GSSAPI?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:21:47 +0100

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> wrote:
> In fact, I'd go as far as suggesting that some of the boilerplate should be
> provided by emacs-module itself. In particular, having to do
> env->intern(env, "nil") just to get a reference to nil is a bit crazy.

The module API is kept simple on purpose. We don't won't to clutter
the raw interface. I agree that the boiler-plate should be provided as
lib that provides utils built on top of the API.

> I tried putting all the interned symbols in a struct and passing specifying
> it as a data pointer when constructing the functions. However, this did not
> work as the emacs_value objects does not seem to have a lifetime outside of
> the invocation of a native function. I haven't seen this documented
> anywhere, so that was a bit surprising at first. The fact that this failed
> is the reason you see all the calls to env->intern everywhere.

This was not always the case: the behaviour was changed by Philipp at
some point. We still have the make_global_ref and free_global_ref
functions in the API, which serve no purpose as a result (correct me
if I'm wrong).