wrong cursor position reported when window margins are wide

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: wrong cursor position reported when window margins are wide
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:01:22 +0100

Hi all,

I recently had a bug report for a package[1] I maintain, which seems to be a bug in Emacs itself. The user that reported the bug uses Fcitx[2], an X-Window based input framework for Chinese (probably other Asian languages as well, but I have no expertise in that area). Another user reported the same problem for another such input framework, ibus[3].

Basically, these input methods consist of a small box (GUI window) that follows the text cursor. They rely on the underlying program (i.e., in this case Emacs) to report the cursor position in order to position the input box correctly.

It seems that when the window margins of an Emacs window are non-nil, the cursor position is reported incorrectly, resulting in the input box being displayed in the wrong place.

The original bug report is here:

<https://github.com/joostkremers/visual-fill-column/issues/25#issuecomment-281844388>

There are screen shots that illustrate the problem. (Scroll down a bit for screen shots with `emacs -Q'.)

The problem exists with Emacs v. 25.1.1, GTK+ for Linux. Emacs for Windows does not display a similar problem. (Which is the main reason why I think this is an Emacs bug rather than a bug in my package. Basically, all my package does is set the window margins to a non-nil value.)

Since I don't use ibus, Fcitx or any similar package, I cannot confirm the problem myself. Therefore, I figured it would be best to post here first before filing a bug report. I'm hoping that someone here can confirm the bug and perhaps tell me what exactly to put in the bug report to make it concise and to the point.

TIA

Joost

[1] https://github.com/joostkremers/visual-fill-column

[2] https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Fcitx