Re: Difficulties with `purecopy' discarding text properties from strings

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Difficulties with `purecopy' discarding text properties from strings
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 20:04:30 +0000

Hello, Daniel

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:11:58 -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> On 05/19/2017 11:55 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

[ .... ]

> > Presumably there are good reasons for discarding text properties when
> > purecopying strings.  Or, maybe, there was just no particular reason to
> > amend the workings of `purecopy' when text properties came into
> > existence.

> > How does this sound for a solution to the problem?  In `defcustom',
> > introduce a new keyword `impure:' which, when placed early enough in the
> > defcustom would inhibit the `purecopy' action.

> > Or should I work at amending `purecopy' also to copy text properties?

> When we move to the new dumper (whatever it is), I don't think we'll
> have a conventional purespace at all anymore. In my system, text
> properties are just automatically preserved along with everything else
> and don't get special treatment.

OK.  Less (or should that be "fewer"?) data will be shared between Emacs
instances, partly because a machine with < 4 GB RAM now counts as tiny.

It looks like any work I do here will be for the short term only,
assuming either your or the other solution to the death of dumping will
shortly take its place in master.

But I'm impatient, I'm looking for a solution over the weekend.  ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).