Re: Difficulty applying multi-file patches from within emacs

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Difficulty applying multi-file patches from within emacs
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 16:08:43 +0000

Hello, Kaushal.

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 15:55:45 +0000, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 6:35 AM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> > On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 20:44:17 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hello, Emacs.

> > > I've always been annoyed by the percentage output by the mode-line
> > > construct "%p" - so much so that I patched my personal copy of
> > > `decode-mode-spec' in xdisp.c over ten years ago (thanks for the tip
> > > then, Eli!).

> > [ .... ]

> > Here is a patch which implements %o and %q.  Feedback would be welcome,
> > of course.

As a matter of interest, I've committed this patch to master already.
But what you've written is still a matter of interest.

> Hello,

> I wanted to try out this patch, but I faced issues applying multi-file
> patch from within emacs. If this were a git-formatted patch, I would have
> tried "git am". But as this is a plain diff patch, that wouldn't work and I
> attempted M-x ediff-patch-file.

How is it not a git-formatted patch?  I created it with

    $ git diff <filenames> > diff.20170520.diff

, from the top level Emacs directory.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).