goto-char doesn't stick

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: goto-char doesn't stick
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:45:15 +0800

I have been trying to figure out why M-. in SLIME sometimes doesn't move point to the correct location in the file, and I discovered the following strange behaviour:

Assuming the cursor is at some random position in buffer "z", The SLIME code essentially does the following to move the cursor to a given location:

    (progn
      (set-buffer "z")
      (goto-char LOCATION))

When I do this, point doesn't move. Or rather, it does move, but after the conclusion of the ‘progn’ form, the cursor returns to its original location. This is what causes the SLIME navigation functions to not work correctly.

Has this behaviour changed recently? I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, but then again, I usually run Emacs compiled from git master, so it may be that this has changed in newer versions.

Regards,
Elas