Re: Native display of line numbers

From: James Nguyen
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 19:25:46 -0700

>> On the device-independent level, this is already supported, has been
>> since Emacs 21.  Emacs 26 has a minor mode which uses this to provide
>> pixel-level smooth scroll commands.  But they slow down scrolling, so
>> some people might not like that.  And the only way I can think of to
>> implement a faster smooth scrolling is to do that in terminal-specific
>> code, i.e. separately for X, w32, and NS.  Patches are welcome.

I'm not sure how to get started doing that. The pixel-scroll-mode is very nice,
but a little too slow for my liking.

Sublime Text like pixel scrolling would probably be my highest wish list item.
(Well, up there with handling ~very~ long lines.)

Sublime is able to handle Macbook Touchpad scrolling as well as a mouse
responsively.

>> I guess this will have to be added, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks! This is great.

# Some things I noticed:

1. Overlays might mess with the line numbers.

Using company-mode along with display-line-numbers. The overlay gets a little
janky and the line numbers disappear where the overlay shows up.

Here's a pic I found from reddit detailing the same thing.

https://i.imgur.com/qXSJDrv.png

2. Haven't been able to reproduce it, but I was scrolling downwards with a
Macbook
Touchpad with relative numbers and the numbers kept toggling back to the
absolute
version. Scrolling up was fine.