Re: Should we land Lisp reader optimizations?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Should we land Lisp reader optimizations?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 21:58:03 -0400

  > Since the time spent in GC appears so significant, why not disable GC while
  > reading?

That could bloat the total memory size of Emacs, with garbage scattered among
the actually used memory so that no entire blocks could be freed.

However, whether the bloat is enough to be a significant drawback,
I don't know.  It might be interesting to measure the amount of memory
used in two alternatives: GCs during reading, and just one GC at the end
of reading.

--
Dr Richard Stallman