Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 18:08:12 +0300

> From: Itai Berli <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 17:42:25 +0300
> Cc: Tino Calancha <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I have GDB 8.0, so it should work well, right? It appears, though, that there
> are fewer buttons in the debug
> toolbar when the debugger is started with gdb than when it is started with
> gud-gdb.

Try "M-x gdb-many-windows RET", maybe you will like the result.

> Eli, which function is the entry point for the bidi module? Where should I
> set a breakpoint for starters?

The entry point is bidi_get_next_char_visually.  (See the beginning of
bidi.c for this and other information.)

However, setting a simple breakpoint there will cause that breakpoint
be hit all the time, and will therefore be useless.  Tell me what you
want to do and with what text, and then I might be able to help you do
that in a more useful way.