Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 23:09:37 +0300

The problem with second init is that we're introducing a major user configuration change to fix some shortcoming in Emacs internals. The moment the feature lookup API I proposed in the other letter gets pushed to master we can cut out those warnings(or writing in init for that matter). And with the current state of packaging I think such API is almost inevitable. But with second init, people would still be stuck with those files, even when raison d'etre for them disappears. And 20 years down the line you may need to explain to people "Oh, no, you don't need config.el, you needed it like 15 years ago, but not anymore".

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev