Re: Regarding Emacs, js.el, template-strings and syntax-tables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Regarding Emacs, js.el, template-strings and syntax-tables
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 06:53:35 -0400

>> function getGreeting(name) {
>> let greeting = `Hello, ${name}!`;
>> return greeting;
>> }

Indeed this problem has been with us in sh-script.el for many years.
There are several different aspects at play:
- how should font-lock display `name`.  Should it have a normal face as
  if it weren't inside a string?  Or should have a kind of combination
  of string-face and something else?
- how should we handle nestings of such constructs.
- several parts of Emacs like to know if we're inside
  code/string/comment (usually using (nth [3|4|8] (syntax-ppss))).
  Should these all consider "name" as being inside code?
  Or inside string?  Or should we revisit all those cases one-by-one?

In sh-script, we use syntax-propertize to make sure the whole string and
its contents is all considered as a string and nothing else.  This was
the simplest solution and probably corresponds to the current behavior
of js.el (and typescript.el) as well.

        Stefan