Re: Current master does not work with sr-speedbar package (W64 build)

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Current master does not work with sr-speedbar package (W64 build)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 00:31:19 +0100 (CET)

> Il 4 dicembre 2018 alle 18.57 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>

> > Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 18:50:51 +0100 (CET)
> > From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> >
> > Current Emacs master (f745cf8c438) does not work with the sr-speedbar
> > package
> > (https://github.com/emacsorphanage/sr-speedbar/blob/master/sr-speedbar.el)
> > from MELPA.
> >
> > Usually I have it configured so that Emacs opens in a single frame with 2
> > window: one for the text (80 characters in width showing the buffer text)
> > and one for sr-speedbar (30 characters in width showing folders and files).
> >
> > After the upgrade to the last Emacs master, the sr-speedbar window has the
> > same width as before but it shows the buffer text... if I remove the
> > desktop file, Emacs start with 2 window each containing the scratch buffer.
> >
> > If, now, I allow for saving the desktop file, at the next start, I get 3
> > window (3 scratch buffers): one window 50 characters in width and 2 window
> > 30 characters in width. At the next start, 4 window, about: 25, 30, 30, 30
> > and so on...
>
> Please show the way you configure Emacs for these windows.  My guess
> is that you call functions that create windows while the selected
> window is dedicated to its buffer, or something similar.

This is the minimal init.el:

$ cat init.el
(setq default-frame-alist
      '(
        (width . 110) ; character
        (height . 56) ; lines
        ))

;; Adds the MELPA repo to Emacs Packages
(when (>= emacs-major-version 24)
  (require 'package)
  (add-to-list
   'package-archives
   '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/";)
   t)
  ;;(package-initialize)
  )

;; Sr-speedbar startup
(defun start-sr-speedbar ()
  "My customization for `sr-speedbar' startup."
  (interactive)

  ;; Start sr-speedbar at Emacs startup
  (sr-speedbar-open)

  ;; As suggested here:
  ;;
  ;;   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-07/msg01125.html
  ;;
  ;; (Really I had tried this solution but putting it in wrong place!)
  ;;
  (ad-deactivate 'pop-to-buffer)
  )

;; Start sr-speedbar, as suggested here:
;;
;;   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/\
;;     2017-04/msg00569.html
;;
;;(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook 'start-sr-speedbar) ; the old way
(add-hook 'window-setup-hook 'start-sr-speedbar)

;; Setup sr-speedbar
(setq sr-speedbar-default-width 30)
(setq sr-speedbar-width 30)
(setq sr-speedbar-max-width 30)
(setq sr-speedbar-auto-refresh t)

I notice that with that init file, now Emacs starts with a double scratch
buffer (one in text window and one in sr-speedbar window) and minibuffer
contains "Opening directory: No such file or directory,
c:/msys2/tmp/emacs-master/src/". Indeed I removed the directory:
c:/msys2/tmp/emacs-master. It is the directory where the Emacs source is
expanded (I use the emacs-master.tar.gz from git repo).

I notice also that Buffer menu contains *Compile-Log* buffer with the text:

Compiling no file at Wed Dec  5 00:20:12 2018

and *Messages* buffer has text:

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
‘sr-speedbar’ window has exist.
speedbar-file-lists: Opening directory: No such file or directory,
c:/msys64/tmp/emacs-master/src/

Whwn I use the previous build (Oct 31) with the same init.el, Emacs starts with
the *GNU Emacs* buffer (the same of Help - About Emacs menu) and the minibuffer
contains "For information about[...]", as expected.