Re: Text Properties And Buffer Modification

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Text Properties And Buffer Modification
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 08:15:36 +0100

From: "T.V Raman" <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 15:39:31 -0800

At present, modifying text properties (adding, removing or changing
properties) markes the buffer as  modified.
Since property changes are mostly cosmetic, is there a good reason why
this is so?

Because text properties are part of the buffer text: if you copy some
of the text into another place, the properties go there as well.

But isn't that at least somewhat counter-intuitive, given that they are usually not saved to the file the buffer is visiting? Up until now I've always understood the modified status of a buffer to mean that there is a discrepancy between what is on disk and what would be on disk if the buffer were saved in its current from. The Emacs Manual indeed seems to say so: "If a buffer contains changes that have not been saved, we say the buffer is 'modified'" (info "(emacs) Visiting").

Granted, buffers that are not visiting a file can also be modified, but they are essentially *always* modified, so their modification status is largely irrelevant. (Isn't it?)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments