Re: emacsclient socket ownership

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: emacsclient socket ownership
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:36:59 -0800

On 12/5/18 12:19 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
emacsclient could have a command-line option for that.

emacsclient already has the '-s SOCKET' option. Plus, you can set XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (or unset it) in the environment before invoking emacsclient. As far as I can see, this should let users avoid the problems Michael describes. (And if I'm wrong, what further emacsclient option would be useful?)

It's for letting users get back pre-27 behavior.  They could want it
for any number of reasons.
Unsetting XDG_RUNTIME_DIR should get the pre-27 behavior in emacsclient.

PS. One really should know what one is doing to be playing with this stuff (due to security reasons), and unless I'm missing something the people who know what they're doing should be able to get the behavior they want by using the knobs that are already in master.