Re: Emacs text shaping using Harfbuzz

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs text shaping using Harfbuzz
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 21:48:24 +0200

> Cc: Khaled Hosny <address@hidden>,
>  Ebrahim Byagowi <address@hidden>, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>,
>  John Wiegley <address@hidden>, Mohammad Nasirifar <address@hidden>,
>  Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden>
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:47:18 -0800
>
> The Emacs harfbuzz branch built fine for me on Fedora 29 (no surprise).
> I saw no problems, not that I would catch many (the Arabic I saw
> displayed OK to me, but I don't read Arabic so am not the best person to
> judge).

Thanks for trying the branch.

> One minor tweak proposed in the attached patch, for simplicity/clarity
> in the mainstream-Harbuzz code.

IMO, for such obviously correct fixes, you should just go ahead and
push.

> I see that Harbuzz is disabled by default by 'configure', and that
> there's an environment variable to disable it at runtime. I propose
> removing the environment variable, and enabling Harfbuzz by default at
> 'configure' time (if the Harbuzz libraries are available), as I don't
> see much point in nudging users away from Harfbuzz.

I agree to enabling it by default if the necessary libraries are
found.

As for disabling at run time, I think this should be reworked to use
the same framework as with other font back-ends, which can be disabled
at runtime by invoking Emacs with the appropriate -xrm switch.  AFAIU,
currently the Harfbuzz code just piggy-backs xftfont, but it really
should be a separate font backend, IMO.

> I see there are some FIXMEs and suchlike comments. Will someone be
> working on them?

I very much hope so ;-)  The branch is supposed to be WIP, not a
finished result, not yet anyway.