Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: open-{gnutls,network}-stream backwards compatibility
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 21:49:53 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 19:18:26 +0000
>
> EZ> If we can make the change backward-compatible, there's no reason to
> EZ> deprecate it.
>
> As the author

I appreciate your authorship, but in Emacs, once we release our code,
we no longer have much of control on it.  It's out in the open.

> I think there is: the function is used in one place and
> doesn't fit the use cases well. All the existing usage goes through
> `open-network-stream'. So it's a layer of indirection with one user,
> that removes API features in a way that's hard to work around. I think
> it's better to remove the source of the problem than to patch it.

I don't think I understand why this justifies deprecation of an API.
Deprecation is a nuisance: it chatters when you compile code, it nags.
We need a seriously good reason to impose that on unsuspecting users.