Re: [bug-gettext] ELPA and gettext.el

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [bug-gettext] ELPA and gettext.el
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 17:08:46 -0500

>   1) The responsibility of po-mode.el was transferred to the Emacs community
>      at the same time. Yes, it would be welcome if someone could take care of
>      the 5 open bugs regarding the PO mode. [1][2][3][4][5]

Simply moving the files to another repository (GNU Emacs or ELPA) won't
create a maintainer for them. There is no GNU ELPA community AFAIK.
Excepting perhaps Stefan, it seems to be individuals maintaining their
own packages. Emacs itself has a small number of active people, but less
used components can languish.

>  2) The documentation is handled appropriately. Currently it is documented
>     through some texinfo-formatted documentation [6]. Whereas ELPA packages,
>     as far as I can see, currently only have plain text documentation, which
>     is inferior to texinfo / hypertext formatted documentation.

ELPA packages may contain info pages. Ref

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Multi_002dfile-Packages.html

Personally, I strongly recommend creating an ELPA package rather than
adding to Emacs itself.