Re: async-shell-command and prefix argument

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: async-shell-command and prefix argument
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 05:40:04 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:19:19 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> >> Is something wrong with customizing async-shell-command-display-buffer?
> >> I have it set to nil for quite some time.
> >
> > Would it help for this use-case?  That is, make the output buffers
> > disappear (even in the presence of some output), but not if a prefix
> > argument is used?
>
> Does C-u already mean inserting the output in the current buffer?
> Maybe then you could use e.g. M-0 prefix arg?

We already have async-shell-command-display-buffer, which can be
customized to makes the buffer appear only if it has something in it.
Why is that not enough?  Is the case where the user decides up front
she doesn't want to see the buffer, ever, no matter what's in it, an
important enough use case?  And if it is, why a new value of
async-shell-command-display-buffer couldn't cater even to that weird
use case?