Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8e2b2a2: Minor cleanup in pdumper.c

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8e2b2a2: Minor cleanup in pdumper.c
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 17:29:33 -0800

Cc: address@hidden
From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 23:24:29 -0800

Daniel Colascione wrote:
Thanks, I had forgotten about timespectod. I installed the attached. Yay, one
less use of ALLOW_IMPLICIT_CONVERSION, a macro I'm not a fan of.

It beats trying to debug silent integral truncation problems without compiler
help. IMHO, it was a mistake for C to allow silent destructive narrowing
conversion.

In my experience the warning is more trouble than it's worth in Emacs source
code, as its signal-to-noise ratio is too large there. There are no free lunches
in software development, and this particular lunch goes waaayyy over budget.

The C language is for people who know what they are doing.  It would
be IMO unacceptable for it to reject assignments of a double value to
an int, or even warn by default about it, because any serious
numerical program does that all the time.

The C language is for people who know what they are doing. It would be IMO unacceptable for it to reject assignments of a char* to a struct foo *, or even warn by default about it, because any serious systems program does that all the time.