Re: Flymake and the 'face' property (was: master cd06d17: Fix bug with f

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Flymake and the 'face' property (was: master cd06d17: Fix bug with face-id after restoring from pdump)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:54:46 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 21:38:29 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> But really, is there a list of reserved symbols somewhere?

Not that I'm aware of.  But I added to the manual the description of
the role of the 'face' property of the face synbol.

> And if this is reserved for presumably "internal" purposes, couldn't
> that symbol be renamed to 'internal--face-id' or something like
> that?  Or are there too many references?

It's too late for that, I think.  Instead, packages should IMO try to
keep the global namespace clean in the property domain as well, thus
defining properties whose names have the prefix of the package name.

> > > Wouldn't another (perhaps uglier, but easier) fix amount to renaming the
> > > face 'flymake-error-face'?
> > Not sure how that would help in this matter.
>
> As far as I can understand, this is because flymake-error, the flymake error
> type, is conflated with flymake-error, the face.

No, the problem is that each face has its numeric face ID stored as
the value of the face symbol's 'face' property.  So, no matter what is
the face symbol, its 'face' property should not be touched.