Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:33:33 +0000

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 7:18 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Johan Bockgård <address@hidden>
> > Cc: João Távora <address@hidden>,
> >   address@hidden
> > Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:34:08 +0100
> >
> > > A 'face' property is documented for general use only for text, not for
> > > symbol plists.
> > (put 'rng-error 'face 'rng-error)
>
> I don't see how this contradicts what I said.  Do you?

Well you did say that 'face should *not* be put on symbol plists,
but the documentation and the code states otherwise.  So the
guideline has to be adjusted, IMO:

  A 'face' property is documented for general use only for text or
  symbol plists, iff those symbols are guaranteed to never ever
  designate faces, i.e. there is no (defface symbol ...).

João