Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 15:25:45 +0200

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

>> I have a design question related to continuation lines.
>>
>> Right now the indicator is show in all the lines including the
>> continuation lines.

A quick experiment here shows the indicator on the continuation line
only when the last char of the line is in the previous column of the
inticator's.

>> Conceptually this is not right because a wrapped line is actually a line
>> that already crossed the fill-column, so the question is if I should add
>> an extra if to not print the indicator in continuation lines.
>
> That's interesting. Showing a continous vertical line is aesthetically
> pleasing even when it does not make sense otherwise, but a gap on that
> vertical line also is useful because it makes the continuation lines
> obvious.
>
> I guess the answer here, as often in Emacs, is "make it configurable"
> :-)

I retract my opinion. I made some invalid asumptions above wrt how and
when the indicator is shown. IMO displaying the indicator on
continuation lines makes no sense for the reason you explained.