Re: improve "next locus from <buffer>" messages

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: improve "next locus from <buffer>" messages
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 05:41:30 -0800

Felician Nemeth <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not completely sure, but the proposed patch seems to assume that
> next-error is only called from compilation-start.

No, that assumption is not made. I added the message in
compilation-start because otherwise it does not print a message when the
locus is changed.

I did not search the rest of emacs for places that set
next-error-last-buffer, so there may be other places that need a
message.

Yes; xref--xref-buffer-mode sets next-error-last-buffer without a
message.

It makes sense to print a message only when the error locus
change might be unexpected. If the user has started a compilation, they
expect error messages to come from *compilation*; similarly for *xref*.
The original discussion included things like flymake, which is invoked
in the background.

I'll take out the message in compilation-start.

--
-- Stephe