Re: Tramp as ELPA package

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Tramp as ELPA package
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 10:20:30 -0800

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> What you can do is create a Tramp package on elpa.git and push releases
>>> there (complete with the pre-built auxiliary files).  This is what
>>> AUCTeX does, basically (where the files that would ideally be
>>> auto-generated during packaging are instead stored in the elpa.git
>>> repository after making them manually).
>>
>> auctex is an external package. We discussed this already, the Tramp
>> repository layout does not fit the requirements of a package archive.
>
> I may have a similar situation with ada-mode; my development work tree
> does not match the elpa packages.
>
> To push to elpa, I have a Makefile target that copies the appropriate
> files from my development work tree to the elpa tree. Setting that up is
> tedious, but as long as the set of files doesn't change often, it's
> pretty easy to maintain.
>
> So in elpa, ada-mode only updates when there is a release.

If people edit ada-mode in elpa, I have to copy the edits back to my
devel tree; I suspect that is Michael's main complaint. Uploading a
package archive to elpa, rather than source files, prevents that.

That seems like a reasonable work flow. It does violate the principle
that elpa packages be editable by emacs maintainers; they are reduced to
deleting the package if they see a serious problem (as opposed to fixing
the problem).

--
-- Stephe