Re: Tramp as ELPA package

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Tramp as ELPA package
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 10:14:38 -0800

>> What you can do is create a Tramp package on elpa.git and push releases
>> there (complete with the pre-built auxiliary files).  This is what
>> AUCTeX does, basically (where the files that would ideally be
>> auto-generated during packaging are instead stored in the elpa.git
>> repository after making them manually).
>
> auctex is an external package. We discussed this already, the Tramp
> repository layout does not fit the requirements of a package archive.

I may have a similar situation with ada-mode; my development work tree
does not match the elpa packages.

To push to elpa, I have a Makefile target that copies the appropriate
files from my development work tree to the elpa tree. Setting that up is
tedious, but as long as the set of files doesn't change often, it's
pretty easy to maintain.

So in elpa, ada-mode only updates when there is a release.

--
-- Stephe