RE: How much I can rely on etc/TODO

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How much I can rely on etc/TODO
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 06:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

> So is "Give desktop.el a feature to switch between
> different named desktops." still valid ?

Dunno just what was meant by that item, but my
guess is yes, it probably is still valid.

---

Bookmark+ lets you create bookmarks to desktops,
and so switch among them easily.  `desktop.el'
still does not let you switch among arbitrary
desktop files AFAIK.  But it could...

But this Bookmark+ facility is based partly on
the fact that it has `bmkp-desktop-read', which
lets you load a particular desktop file.

Similarly, function `bmkp-desktop-change-dir'
accepts a desktop file as arg.

`desktop.el' still does not allow this AFAIK.

It's still based on the assumption/restriction
that you can have only one desktop file per
directory.

There's no good reason for this, IMO - a
desktop file could be anywhere.  In particular,
there could be multiple desktop files in the
same directory.  The directory orientation of
`desktop.el' is an unnecessary encumbrance
(which has never served any useful purpose
AFAIK).

`bmkp-desktop-read' & `bmkp-desktop-change-dir'
are based on `desktop-read' & `desktop-change-dir'.
The difference they offer is to accept a desktop
file as arg.  Pretty simple change, but it makes
a big difference in how you can use desktops.

Neither of those `bmkp-*' functions has, itself,
anything to do with bookmarks.  They or similar
could easily be added to `desktop.el', to make
desktops and desktop switching more flexible.

That would be a good start toward fulfilling
that TODO wish.  It might even be all that's
needed.  Well, on its own it doesn't provide
the desktop naming.  (Bookmark names provide
that for Bookmark+.)  But naming should be
trivial - a start would be to use the desktop
file name or a name derived from it, as
default.

[FWIW, I've mentioned this before, including
years ago.]

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/bookmark%2b-1.el