Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 15:44:33 -0700

On 4/11/19 12:55 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Yes, it has no autoconf, but
> that's been replaced with the configure step from waf, which has exactly
> one person you can ask if something doesn't work the way you think it
> should.

Yes, I considered waf too (coincidentally I was just talking to a
student today about waf for one of his projects!). However, I don't
think waf would be as good a match for Emacs, as it brings in more
dependencies (Python, bzip2) and it's not yet clear that waf will be a
stable-enough build tool for Emacs in the long run.

In contrast, if we simply use GNU Make we are reducing dependencies (by
removing dependencies on autoconf/automake/m4) and we know GNU Make will
be there in the long haul.