Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:36:06 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 12:40:41 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 4/11/19 11:39 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Sure, but that means we'll need to rewrite all the Autoconf tests as
> > Make scripts, complete with the test programs and other stuff.  Why is
> > such an effort worth our while?
>
> Because I'm so annoyed at how long 'configure' takes that I'm willing to
> spend time to make it go faster.

That's okay, but it's not only your time that's at stake.  Once the
tests using Make are written, the rest of the Emacs developers will
have to study them, maybe document them, and learn to use and modify
them, so that this system could be kept for the observable future.

In general, having an Emacs-specific build system used only by Emacs
sounds wrong to me, as we don't have enough resources for that.  If we
want to switch to another build system, it would be more logical to
look at the popular alternatives used out there, rather than inventing
our own.