Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 19:46:30 +0000

Hello, Paul.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 17:42:50 -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Can I ask that if anybody starts using a new attribute macro, that they
> > update the value of c-noise-macro-names under c-mode in .dir-locals?
> > That way, correct fontification will then continue to happen whilst
> > editing our C files.

> Can we put "ATTRIBUTE_.*" there? If not, perhaps we should.

Not at the moment, no.  Possibly because people might write regexps as
loosely as your suggestion, and that would mangle CC Mode.  Whats wanted
would be something more precise like "ATTRIBUTE_[A-Z]*".

For macros with semicolons, I allowed a regexp to be entered directly
instead of a list of identifiers, but there it is mandatory that the
regexp not match anything but valid identifiers.  For noise macros, a
regexp just seems less needed, somehow.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).