Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 10:06:58 +0300

> From: Toon Claes <address@hidden>
> Gcc-Self: nnimap+soverin:Sent
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 23:19:05 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> > So if someone wants to make this happen, I urge you to come on board,
> > get involved in maintenance, collect some real-life experience in
> > routine development and maintenance tasks, and then lead the change,
> > doing most of the work yourself.  And yes, Savannah will most probably
> > be a large part of the equation, so you will need their cooperation as
> > well.
>
> TBH, I've tried this. For years I've been following the mailing list,
> and I want to get involved in Emacs development. But I've found it hard
> to get around in the codebase.

Feel free to ask questions and seek guidance here.  "Getting involved"
doesn't mean you need to discover everything on your own, there are
enough knowledgeable and helpful people here who will gladly assist.

> I'm not sure, but it might be a chicken-and-egg problem. If the tools
> are not convenient *for me* to follow-up bugs, review patches, etc., it
> will also not help me familiarize with the codebase and
> vice-versa.

It is possible that you aren't familiar enough with the existing
tools, or haven't set them up optimally.  Once again, feel free to
describe your difficulties here and ask for advice.

It could be that eventually all the advice you get still falls short
of what you want/need, but that kind of conclusion should not be made
before exhausting the existing capabilities.  Familiarity with the
existing tools will also provide better perspective on the relative
importance of improving/changing specific aspects of our process.

> If the Emacs community, and their maintainers, are open to adding
> such workflow

TBH, I don't think I personally understand what "adding such a
workflow" entails.  Maybe I just wasn't following the related
discussions (sorry), or maybe no one described the workflow in enough
detail yet.