Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package

From: Björn Lindqvist
Subject: Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 20:12:13 +0200

Den fre 26 apr. 2019 kl 18:41 skrev Phillip Lord <address@hidden>:
> I have now trialled there and there are versions on alpha
>
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-27/
>
> The "emacs-27.0.50" files are built like a release build, while the
> "-snapshot" ones are built like a snapshot build.
>
> In terms of the download size, -no-deps drops from 107M to 46M which is
> the most extreme drop. The installer version drops by only 10M because
> it's lzma compressed. Uncompressed sizes will be proportionately
> larger.

The emacs.exe file has shrunk from 121 mb to 6.2 mb. That is pretty, pretty
good. Thanks a lot! I've only lightly tested it so far, but it seems
that nothing
isbroken. eww doesn't work due to missing libxml2, but it didn't work in
emacs 24 either. There is an 10mb emacs.pdmp file in
libexec\emacs\27.0.50\x86_64-w64-mingw32 which must be some leftover from the
old build process. Even with that file, the install is roughly as
small as it was in
version 24.5.

--
mvh/best regards Björn Lindqvist