Re: [Low priority] Some minor complaints from cppcheck about emacs 26.2

From: Adam Richter
Subject: Re: [Low priority] Some minor complaints from cppcheck about emacs 26.2
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:19:43 -0700

[Sorry for the resend, Paul.  I forgot to cc emacs-devel.]

Thanks for the prompt detailed analysis, Paul.

I'm fine with whatever you want to do with update-game-score.c.  I
agree that exiting a few microseconds faster is more important than
appeasing a code checker in this case (not sarcasm).  If I had my
druthers, I'd probably put in a commented out free() so anyone else
running a similar check or trying to move the code to a library will
be less likely ask the same question, but whatever.  I'll look into
whether there is some comment that cppcheck will accept to indicate
that the leak is deliberate.

I see now that the stdint.h problems were substitutions from
stdint.in.h for HAVE_SIGNED_SIG_ATOMIC_T and two others (there were
apparently three such cases).  Trying another Linux environment just
now, my initial attempt to configure on an Ubuntu 19.04 system broke
and I have to run now and be away for the rest of the day, but I
suspect that you are right that it is my problem somewhere and hope to
send you an update confirming this in the next day or two.

Thanks for your explanation about nstrftime.c, which I read while
looking at the code.  I think you're right and am a bit surprised that
cppcheck did enough analysis to complain but not enough to rule it
out, given that cpp must have been using an ifdef combination that
would make the C preprocessor expand all of those macros.  I hope to
take a look at cppcheck side in the next day or two and will respond
further if I have some news.

I suspect that you're right in everything except for the
MATCH_MAY_ALLOCATE in regex.c.  If I run cppcheck
-DMATCH_MAY_ALLOCATE, it still generates the warning about the
compile_stack.stack.  I don't know that there is any urgency to fixing
it though, especially if you want to await a forthcoming code
simplification.

Adam