Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 14:44:31 +0200

6 juni 2019 kl. 12.12 skrev Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

> It isn't hardcoded in Emacs, it' "hardcoded" in the way the OS produces
> character codes when you type keys on the keyboard.  C-[ produces ESC for the
> same reason C-i produces TAB and C-j produces RET: these keys emit the same
> codes as the corresponding Ctrl sequences.

The above is true when Emacs is running in a terminal. Otherwise, Emacs has
code to emulate that behaviour (make_ctrl_char), so that we can enjoy a whiff
of early 1960s bit-paired keyboards. And this does appear to be hard-coded, in
the sense that it cannot be disabled.

It's somewhat useful for certain expensive keyboards with dodgy escape keys.