Re: git help please: I want a git log with --author!=<name>.

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: git help please: I want a git log with --author!=<name>.
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 21:05:35 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> .  Scanning the git-log manual page hasn't been helpful.  The only
> thing possibly relevant is --not, but this is essentially undocumented
> (the man page doesn't say what it does).  So I try:
>
>     git log --not --author=Mackenzie -- lisp/progmodes/cc-*.el

The --not is the human understandable version of "..", i.e.,

  git log emacs-26 --not master

gives all commits reachable from emacs-26 but not reachable from master,
as does the older but unrecognizable (to me) syntax

  git log master..emacs-26

too.  If you are in a hurry, a leading ^ is the same as --not, so you
could also say

    git log emacs-26 ^master

That's all documented in the git-rev-parse manpage.

Bye,
Tassilo