Re: Towards a cleaner build: tags

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: tags
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 03:30:43 +0300

On 15.06.2019 19:11, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
27% of the remaining Warning: lines are related to the introduction of
the new xref code, I think:

emulation/viper-ex.el:2019:16:Warning: `find-tag' is an obsolete function (as
     of 25.1); use `xref-find-definitions' instead.
emulation/viper-ex.el:2020:14:Warning: `find-tag-other-window' is an obsolete
     function (as of 25.1); use `xref-find-definitions-other-window' instead.
eshell/esh-mode.el:499:6:Warning: `find-tag' is an obsolete function (as of
     25.1); use `xref-find-definitions' instead.
textmodes/reftex-global.el:101:6:Warning: tags-query-replace called with 4
     arguments, but accepts only 2-3
vc/vc-dir.el:826:4:Warning: tags-query-replace called with 4 arguments, but
     accepts only 2-3

These functions are obsolete (or are called with the wrong number of
arguments), but as far as I can tell, there are no direct substitutions
for these functions (or arguments).

As Emacs 25.1 was a while ago, it would be really nice if somebody were
to write the glue code what would allow us to get rid of these
warnings.  :-)

FWIW, I believe tags-query-replace has an adequate replacement already in the fileloop package (as you can see it's already implemented in terms of it). That would take care of the last two warnings.

esh-mode.el has a peculiar use for find-tag in creating a special version of it that "ignores whether the text is read-only". I'm not sure why that would matter since the command does not modify the buffer contents. Should we just remove the command and the custom binding? Not sure if eshell-mode just set up xref-find-functions as well. Is it supposed to use a tags table, or find-func.el?

As for viper, I guess the emulation stuff has some UI requrements? Otherwise we could use xref-find-definitions and xref-find-definitions-other-window there.