Re: Supported platforms

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: Supported platforms
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:20:56 -0600

On 15-06-2019 00:42, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:42:32 -0600
>>
>> is there anywhere a list of the platforms (operating system and
>> architecture) supported by Emacs?
>
> I don't think there are innate limitations.  Any platform that
> supports running a Posix shell, GNU Make, a C99-compliant C compiler,
> and a standard C library, will do.

Where are you drawing the line to call those the only required
dependencies?  For example, Emacs uses autoconf for the build process,
thus I guess independently of the fact that autoconf support exists for
the given platform, also an m4 implementation is required.  Also, what
standard C library?

> Is there some specific question that you are interested in, or a
> specific platform?  And also, what version of Emacs are we talking
> about?  Versions before 27 could have problems in the dumping process.

It is a question mostly out of curiosity. But there have been talks
recently of working on improvements to the build process, and I am
trying to understand what systems Emacs is targeting, what systems the
build process needs to support, and on which systems Emacs is tested.

Cheers,
Dan