Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 16:29:45 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> Andy Moreton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> In Emacs, out of tree builds are peculiar because they put build
>>> products in the source tree (.elc files).
>>
>> Exactly my point - that should not happen. The .elc files should go in
>> <builddir>/lisp and not in the source tree.
>
> I argued about this point on the past to no avail. Some hackers here
> find this feature convenient for their workflow.

It does have an advantage when I build for Windows, for example. I have
to build twice (i686, x86_64), so I do out of source builds. But
byte-compilation happens only once.

I guess the reason for it is that the source distribution, actually
includes the (non-source) elc files. The same is true for configure
which is also generated in source.

Phil