Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 19:29:27 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 17:10:10 +0200
>
> I've now checked in the changes, and extraclean now removes all the
> files and directories that aren't in a fresh checkout, as far as I can
> tell.
>
> But there's one confusing thing: There's an old rule in there that
> deletes the src/macuvs.h file, which is a checked-out file, so until you
> say "make" again, you get:
>
>      removed             src/macuvs.h
>
> from git.
>
> It's re-generated by the build process, but is this how it's supposed to
> be?  It's removed by extraclean in admin/unidata/Makefile.in, and it's
> been like that for many years.

I don't see this as a catastrophe.  If the user does this inside a
repository, they can "git checkout src/macuvs.h", if they don't intend
running a full build.  And if they do run a full build, the file will
be recreated.  And in a tree that is not a repository, removing the
file is not a problem at all.

We could refrain from removing it, but then users who want to
regenerate it anew, perhaps because its dependencies changed, will
have hard time figuring out what exactly to do.

So I think this is not a problem.  Perhaps we should have a comment in
admin/unidata/Makefile.in describing the issue.