Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 21:41:21 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 11:27:45 -0700
>
> Like Lars, I'm leery about temporarily trashing the representation of a Lisp
> string in order to do I/O. There will likely be other places where we need to
> do
> this sort of thing, but where the data are not in Lisp strings. It's not that
> hard to efficiently output even a very long Lisp string without modifying it,
> so
> let's do that.
>
> Proposed patch attached. This defaults to line buffering on glibc as well as
> on
> AIX and Solaris, as I've verified that glibc buffers appropriately and have
> used
> it pretty extensively with Emacs.

I don't understand: this brings back line buffering for stderr,
something that was reverted earlier.  I still object to that.

IOW, my problem is not with the platforms that don't support line
buffering, it's with making stderr line-buffered globally on those
platforms that do.  I thought the loop solution was proposed for those
few places where we want short messages to go out atomically, but
without making stderr line-buffered.

What am I missing?